News

Alec Baldwin’s iPhone handed over to police investigating fatal shooting on film set | World news

Alec Baldwin has handed his cellphone over to investigators investigating the fatal shooting on his film set, his attorney has said.

A search warrant for the actor’s iPhone was issued in December, but the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office said earlier this week it was still trying to obtain the device.

The Hollywood actor was rehearsing a scene in Rust and holding a prop gun when it exploded, firing live ammunition which killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and injured director Joel Souza.

Picture:
The search warrant issued by the State of New Mexico

On Friday, sheriff’s department spokesman Juan Rios said via email that Baldwin’s phone had been turned over to authorities in Suffolk County, New York, who were downloading the relevant data to send. to New Mexico investigators.

According to court documents, investigators will review text messages, emails, social media communications, browser activity and other information stored on the device.

Aaron Dyer, an attorney for Baldwin, confirmed that the actor provided authorities with his phone on Friday.

“But this case is not about his phone, and there is no answer on his phone. Alec did nothing wrong,” Dyer said in a statement.

“The real question that needs to be answered is how the live rounds got to the set in the first place,” he added.

Last week, Baldwin said that any suggestion he made failing to comply with the search warrant on his phone was a ‘lie’.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Baldwin insists he is complying with the probe

He added, “This is a process where one state makes the request from another state. Someone from another state can’t come to you and say, ‘Give me your phone, give me this, give me that”. They can’t. They have to go through the state that you live in.

“And it’s a time-consuming process and they have to specify exactly what they want.

“They can’t just go through your phone and take your pictures or your love letters to your wife or whatever, I really don’t know.

“But of course we’re going to comply 1,000 per cent with all of this, we’re totally okay with that.”

Baldwin has repeatedly stated that he did not know the gun contained live ammunition and did not pull the trigger, saying investigators need to find out who put it in the gun.

Alec Baldwin speaks to abc news about the shooting of Halyna Hutchins.  Photo: abc
Picture:
Alec Baldwin denied pulling the trigger. Photo: ABC

Baldwin said he met the film’s gunsmith Hannah Gutierrez-Reed for a shooting practice session before filming, and she seemed capable and responsible.

Ms. Gutierrez-Reed was the subject of much of the scrutiny of the case. Her lawyer said she did not put the bullet in the gun and believes she was the victim of sabotage.

Read more:
Alec Baldwin says ‘not a day goes by’ that he doesn’t think about Halyna Hutchins’ death
The actor spotted at an event in New York in his first public appearance since filming a fatal movie

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

one × 3 =