Novak Djokovic at the hearing: “What more could he have done”? – The judge sympathizes with the tennis star during the hearing | World news

The judge who heard Novak Djokovic’s appeal over his canceled visa appeared sympathetic to the tennis star’s plight as his legal team made his case in Australia.

Djokovic is currently trying to stop his expulsion so he can compete in the Australian Open, which is due to start in a week.

Nick Wood, who represents the world number one, said Djokovic said he could not be vaccinated for medical reasons before traveling to Melbourne.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Address gathering of the Djokovic family

Follow live updates from the court hearing in Djokovic

In addition to providing a medical exemption document from Tennis Australia, another medical exemption was granted by a separate expert panel established by the government of the state of Victoria.

At the start of Monday’s proceedings, Judge Anthony Kelly said: “The point that worries me is’ what more could this man have done? “”

Mr Wood went on to say that Djokovic had received a response stating that he qualified for visa-free travel – and “any reasonable person would assume that they ticked every box.”

The lawyer also pointed to advice from the Australian Technical Advisory Group on Vaccination that – if a coronavirus infection is confirmed by a PCR test – vaccination can be postponed for up to six months.

Court documents suggest Djokovic initially tested positive for COVID on December 16, but the government argues that “there is no suggestion” that Djokovic ended up suffering from “severe and acute illness” at this moment.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

“Mr. Djokovic is not being held captive”

Djokovic’s lawyers also alleged that he was treated unfairly after arriving at Melbourne airport by Australian border force officials.

The tennis star had struggled to contact his lawyers and Tennis Australia as it was the middle of the night.

Although he had until 8:30 am to make contact, the court heard that the 34-year-old was woken up at 6 am and forced to respond “because it was better for him if they took the decision immediately “.

The court hearing was significantly disrupted by technical issues with the live broadcast, which appeared to falter under the pressure as large numbers attempted to connect.

After an adjournment for lunch, the lawyers representing the Australian government are ready to make their case.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

six + thirteen =