News

Novak Djokovic’s visa canceled by Australian Immigration Minister | World news

Novak Djokovic’s visa was canceled by Australia’s Immigration Minister for public health reasons, casting further doubt on his participation in the first grand slam of the year.

The tennis star first saw his visa canceled when he arrived in Melbourne last week when his COVID-19[female[feminine the immunization exemption was questioned.

But he won a lawsuit against the cancellation which allowed him to stay in the country.

At the time, the Australian government said it would continue to consider whether he could stay, which was a decision entirely at the discretion of the country’s Immigration Minister Alex Hawke.

Picture:
Djokovic was training for the Australian Open on Friday morning

Statement from the Minister of Immigration

Mr Hawke said he made his decision after “carefully” reviewing information from the Home Office, the Australian Border Force and Mr Djokovic.

“Today, I exercised my power under section 133C (3) of the Migration Act to cancel the visa held by Mr. Novak Djokovic for reasons of health and good order, on the grounds that ‘it was in the public interest to do so,’ he said in a statement.

“The Morrison government is firmly committed to protecting Australia’s borders, especially with regard to the COVID-19 pandemic,” he added, referring to Prime Minister Scott Morrison.

Under the section of the migration law used by the minister to enforce his decision, Djokovic will not be able to obtain a visa to come to Australia for three years except in compelling circumstances that affect the country’s interest.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

“It’s not over yet”, says Djokovic’s mother

The problem of the declaration form and the interview with the French magazine

Djokovic’s case was not helped after admitting his entry declaration form for Australia, mistakenly claiming that he had not traveled in the two weeks leading up to his trip, which he attributed to an error of his agent.

“On the issue of my travel declaration, this was submitted by my support team on my behalf as I told immigration officials on my arrival – and my agent sincerely apologizes for the ‘administrative error in checking the wrong box regarding my previous trip before coming to Australia, he said in a statement.

“One of the most extraordinary shows”

Polls have reportedly suggested that the majority of the Australian public expected them to cancel their visa.

It only took the Australian government 96 hours after the court case that garnered so much attention earlier this week to make its decision.

Now we know that Novak Djokovic has admitted to misleading Australian authorities when he filled out documents regarding his arrival for the Australian Open and we know he most likely broke Serbian COVID rules.

Indeed, he tested positive on December 16 and did not necessarily isolate himself.

It’s such a mess on the eve of the Australian Open. They did the draw yesterday and Djokovic was in the draw but we understand from Melbourne the decision is to deport him and cancel his visa.

It is one of the most extraordinary sports shows outside of the tennis courts. It has been so bitter on both sides and it has polarized the anti-vaccination debate.

It really became much more important than that, the polls suggested the majority of the Australian public wanted him deported and the Immigration Minister finally acted.

He also has confessed to meeting a reporter for a face-to-face interview and photo shoot for French magazine L’Equipe in Belgrade after testing positive for COVID-19.

And the Australian Open?

Djokovic’s second visa cancellation comes after he was shot against fellow Serbian Miomir Kecmanovic at Australian Open, which is due to start on Monday, January 17.

The world number one in men’s tennis could still sue, but otherwise his hopes of winning a 10th Melbourne Park title and a 21st Grand Slam crown will come to an end.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Watch: Djokovic’s training session

To have a chance to compete, his attorneys would have to appear before a judge of the Federal Circuit and Family Court or a superior judge of the Federal Court for two urgent orders.

An order would be an injunction to prevent his deportation, like the one he obtained last week.

The second would order Mr. Hawke to grant Djokovic a visa to play.

If he is forced to leave the tournament before Monday’s order of play is announced, the seeds will be shuffled, with fifth seed Andrey Rublev taking the place of the tennis star.

After Djokovic won his first appeal earlier this week, the 34-year-old returned to the tennis court to train for the Open and has been doing so every day since.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

4 + nineteen =