News

Typhoon Rai: At Least 375 Dead After Severe Storm In Philippines As Governor Calls For More Help | World news

The death toll after powerful Typhoon Rai hit the Philippines has risen to at least 375, of which 56 are still missing and more than 500 injured, authorities said.

The governor of a central province in the Philippines has pleaded with the government to send food and other aid quickly, warning that looting could become more widespread amid rising famine.

Governor Arthur Yap of Bohol Province said he could no longer get rice and other food aid after his contingency fund was exhausted.

Picture:
56 people are missing, including 500 injured. Photo: AP

He said many of his island province’s 1.2 million people remained without electricity or mobile phone service five days after. Typhoon Rai struck for the first time.

President Rodrigo Duterte visited Bohol over the weekend and witnessed the widespread devastation. Yap said the government welfare department promised to send 35,000 food packages, not enough for the province’s 375,000 families, but even these have yet to arrive.

In an interview with the DZBB radio network, he thanked Duterte for visiting his province but said: “If you don’t send money for food, you should send soldiers and police, otherwise looting. will erupt here.

Typhoon Rai struck the Philippine archipelago with winds of over 195 km (121 miles) per hour and gusts of up to 270 km (168 miles) per hour at its deadliest level, before finally blowing in the South China Sea on Friday.

Photo: AP
Picture:
More than 400,000 people were evacuated before the storm. Photo: AP

Hundreds of people have been killed, mainly by falling trees and flash floods. However, the death toll could rise further as emergency teams restore communications and electricity to towns and villages.

Over 400,000 people had to be moved to emergency shelters as the typhoon approached and as some began to return home, others lost their homes altogether.

Emergency crews have been working to restore power to 227 towns and villages, officials said on Monday, adding that power had only been restored in 27 areas so far.

Photo: AP
Picture:
The looting could become widespread, warned a provincial governor. Photo: AP

Mobile phone connections have been restored to at least 106 of the more than 130 towns and villages, but two local airports remain closed, except for emergency flights.

The Philippines has not appealed for international aid, but Japan has said it is sending generators, camping tents, mattresses, water cans and roofing tarps to the hard-hit areas. .

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

19 − 11 =